Anna, Hannah & Bailey

Anna, Hannah & Bailey
They are lookin focused !!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Its Friday...Let the weekend begin!!

Ok so it's Friday today.... I have much planned for the weekend for the past week we have been picking Blackberries... I am serious in when I say we have probably some where in the rang of 100 Blackberry bushes lol.. I have at this point over 4 gallons of blackberries in the freezer.. My husband and daughter pick them and I wash them, and then put them on a tray and freeze them one batch at a time so they are individually frozen and not just in one big lump in my bag.. This takes some time but WELL worth it in the end..  Now for the next step, I am making jam.. this should be fun I am thinking I have enough too make more jam than one could ever need.. and this is only my first batch.. we are gonna pick every last one that we can reach...haha crazy I know ... but hey you can never have too much FREE fruit right?? 
Here is a great recipe for blackberries:
Peach Blackberry Crisp
1/2 c flour
1/2 c rolled oats
1/3 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c cold butter cut into sm. pieces
2 16oz packages frozen sliced peaches
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
1 c fresh or frozen (thawed) blackberries

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine flour, oats and brown sugar in a bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs form.  Combine peaches, granulated sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl; stir to coat.  Spoon into 2 quart baking dish. Add blackberries. Sprinkle with oat mixture. Bake crisp until filling is bubbly, about 1 1/2 hrs. Serve warm.. (with ice cream on top) yummy !!

We have been growing tomatoes, peppers and onions as well and I have more tomatoes than I could have ever imagined.. haha I don't even like them YUCK !!! But the hubby does so I see salsa in my very near future as well..  I am gonna spend the entire month of Sept. in the kitchen over a hot stove and canning jars.. I am growing cucumbers to and will be making pickles for the first time so if anyone out there has a good recipe for pickles please let me know.. I have never made my own pickles but I do love them.. good eats !!

Remember in my first post I mentioned these uninvited creatures living among us.. Well I have been hearing some wonderful movement in our attic.. So I am sending my hubby up there tomorrow too hunt down this terrible noise maker. The idea of a four legged creature that is not part of the family camping out in my house is not appealing too me and I want it gone !! He's not looking forward too this and I told him while he has the attic open I will be out in the car safe and sound with my daughter and the doggies hahaha so he's on his own.. He says what if I am attacked and I said well when I hear the scream I will call for 911 and hope for the best .. hehehe  after all what on earth am I gonna do if I am with him but scream and run myself.. I know that if I see a raccoon stuck to his back I wont be of much help I will be screaming and running off so I figure we both don't need too be traumatized .. it's only common sense right?? Then he's also searching under the house for unwanted guest it could get very interesting tomorrow.. I might be staying at a hotel .. lol  Anyways all in a days work when your living in the country or at least ... Everyone keeps telling me that anyway... Did you know that if a rat wants too get into your house HE WILL !!  When we first moved in we actually had a RAT chew his way in thru the wall.. He apparently couldn't find any holes and decided whatever we had in here he wanted and chewed a hole thru the kitchen wall.. One day no hole next day big hole.. it was NASTY.. we put out poison and found him in the yard a couple days later.. he was HUGE .. it was GROSS!!! We ended up finding two rats and one mouse.. so don't think your safe if he wants in he will get in.. But we have cleaned up outside all around the house and haven't had anymore problems as of yet!! Knock on wood!! and I did on the desk just now !! lol I'm loving the country but not the rodents..

We also hope to get some work done on our bathroom this weekend.... So we can finish that project and move on to our second bathroom which we are going too knock back to the studs and start completely over I cant wait too get started.. Well I had better get going I have housework to get done before the hubby gets home from work and the weekend really begins.. I keep the house clean all week so I don't have to do those CHORES on the weekend.. Who wants to clean on a sat??? NOT ME NOT ME NOT ME !!! Have a great weekend !! Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I am SO hungry after reading your post...for the jam and dessert...not the 4 legged creature in your attic! ;)
    I just barely learned how to can! I have done tomatoes, salsa, peaches and peach jam so far. It's a lot of work, but well worth it!
    I think that you are amazing! Keep up all the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Misy, you should try the berry crisp its nice and not as bad for you as a dessert could be lol.. I have been canning since I was like 12..My mom always canned and she use too make me help cause it was alot of work. I LOVE to can now, its well worth all the work. How did you do your salsa? Im growing tomatos,green peppers and chilies and onions, So I will be making them into my salsa with some cilantro.. I have never made peach jam that sounds YUMMY!! I have strawberry-rhubarb and strawberry now and I am going to make Blackberry soon now.. You sound like your working hard too..I keep up with you on facebook and you are a GREAT MOM doing a great job too.. thanks for the comment...

    ReplyDelete